Thursday, July 21, 2011

A New Column Idea: Musing with Music

Aha! I knew I would find a way to write about music when I have literally no musical skill (ask anybody forced to spend an extended period of time with me how poorly I sing and how much that stops me). Here's the deal. I listen to a goodly amount of music but I don't know, really, how to write about it. You can check the other posts tagged with music to see what I mean. They're valiant efforts, sure, but not really anything substantial. My new idea does not automagically make my music writing substantial or even good, but it will provide a frame for me.

So. I will write about an entire album as the album plays. Each song will get a little paragraph thing (maybe even bulleted!) and I will write about the song as it plays. When the song ends the paragraph ends. I'll keep going until the music stops. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this but it will be something new for me to try, at least. And I'll have listened to the album in full a few times to develop ideas before writing or else I'll just end up writing a lot and saying nothing at all. Which is still a possibility, but less of one. A little less. I'll probably start off with some albums from this year including The Mountain Goats' All Eternal Decks and Middle Brother's self titled album. I'll also try to provide a grooveshark link so you can listen along.

If you have any suggestions on how to make this a better idea or just album recommendations I'll be happy to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment